Malcolm Glazer, the head of the family that owns Manchester United football club, has died aged 85.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the American football club he owned for nearly 30 years, made the announcement.
The club reported he passed away on Wednesday morning and described him as a “pioneering thinker” and “dynamic business leader”.
Mr Glazer, who lived in Palm Beach, Florida, bought Manchester United in 2005 – sparking a number of protests in the city.
After that, the football club won five Premier League titles (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2013), as well as the 2008 Champions League title.
Sky’s Sports Correspondent Paul Kelso said Mr Glazer’s passing is a “significant moment” for Old Trafford.
Mr Glazer was a “hugely, hugely divisive” and “very unpopular” figure in Manchester, he said.
out, in which he borrowed a huge sum of money to buy the club and paid off the interest with its profits.400m.
Kelso said he does not think Mr Glazer’s death will have much of an impact on Manchester United because he had been ill for some years and the club is being run by his family.
Mr Glazer once owned 100-per-cent of Old Trafford, but then passed his holding to his sons and daughter. They own 90%, with the other 10% floated on the New York stock exchange.
Manchester United said in a statement: “The thoughts of everyone at Manchester United are with the Glazer family tonight … staff at Manchester United extend deep and sincere condolences to them all at this difficult time.”
Mr Glazer leaves behind his wife Linda, six children and 14 grandchildren.